There are plenty of good reasons for staying with your current reporting software solution or reporting software component. You’ve already invested time and money in training users. There are no surprises about how it works (or doesn’t). And you know what you have is compatible with your system setup.
But the costs of not switching are also great. They are so great that in many cases, the benefits are soon obvious and overwhelming.
The problem? Those benefits aren’t clear until after you switch. And if you can’t envision them ahead of time, you’ll never get to the point where you see them in person.
So let’s make them a little more transparent.
Seven reasons why you shouldn’t switch reporting software.
Reason #1: Search costs. Time is money, and it takes time to search for alternatives to your current solution. And once you’ve identified alternatives, you spend even more time evaluating them.
Reason #2: Installation/integration costs. After you’ve selected a new software package, your company will have to spend time and money installing it.
Reason #3: Compatibility costs. Is the new software guaranteed to work with your current system? Of course not – which means you could end up with significant compatibility costs.
Reason #4: Transfer costs. Getting your current reports out of your legacy system could be a breeze or it could be a giant pain in the tuchus.
Reason #5: Training costs. Learning how to use a new program will entail some time and energy.
Reason #6: Sunk costs. Unless ALL aspects of the new software package are free, including documentation or support for the so-called “free” software programs, you’ll have to sink actual money into switching.
Reason #7 Emotional costs. Switching from one thing to another – even something as simple as a brand of toothpaste – has an emotional component. Psychological switching costs are hardwired in our brains even though we don’t always fully understand them.
Now if all this makes you wonder why we’re even talking to you about the benefits of switching reporting software packages, keep in mind that smart companies switch software programs every day.
The one big reason you should switch. And why you should care.
Reason # Most Important One: When you zoom out and see the bigger picture, the benefits of switching far outweigh all the reasons for staying with your current software.
There are multiple benefits of switching, and the strength of each benefit varies from vendor to vendor. But when you don’t switch to a better reporting program, you miss out on critical benefits – at a huge hidden cost. Benefits like:
- Increased Productivity.Template design can be a huge time suck and one of the biggest expenses associated with creating reports. When Aspect Security switched reporting software packages, they found “The development time is where we see a real advantage. It’s an order of magnitude faster to develop a report,” according to CEO Jeff Williams.
- Increased Productivity part 2. There’s no law saying you must wait until the next day for a huge batch of reports. After Aon Hewitt switched programs, they were able to generate 36,000,000 pages per day and were limited only by their database bandwidth access, not their reporting software.
- Increased Productivity part 3. No matter how well you know your current solution, eventually others will need to be trained to use it. Switch to a reporting application with a small learning curve and watch the time savings add up as each new user is trained.
- Increased Productivity part 4. When your reporting software gives you the EXACT output you require, it displays data in the best way possible so you can make informed decisions. That makes your entire company more productive. And if you’re embedding that software into your own application, you’re reaping the benefits of wowing potential clients during sales demonstrations.
How to make the switch
The key to making the switch is finding the right reporting software, one that both helps you lower the costs of switching software and gives you untold benefits.
We of course know that Windward is one such program. It helps you lower switching costs with
- Easy integration – only 14 lines of code to integrate into your software application
- Low compatibility costs – the application works with your current data sources, can sit on your own server, and has automated tools for transferring existing reports into your new system
- Minimal training costs – because Windward uses Microsoft Word and Excel as the template design tool, the learning curve is small. And the documentation is free, enormous and detailed.
and it increases your productivity in all of the ways mentioned above.
But don’t take our word for it. See what our customers have experienced, or download a free trial and try it out for yourself.